You’ve heard all the success stories about people who work from home and make a decent second income and now you’re ready to figure out how you can do it too. It seems like one of those tales that are just too good to be true, but you’ve reached a point where you figure, what the heck?
You could be a mom or dad looking for the freedom to stay home with your children, a college student trying to earn money online, or you could quite possibly already be a blogger or a work-from-home (WFH) entrepreneur just learning how to earn a second income online. Whatever the case may be, you might as well give it a shot!
Prior to logging on and roaming around the internet, you should have some sort of direction.
Before jumping right into the ways to make money online, there are some fundamentals that you should know if you really want to be successful.
- Whatever you do, make sure to remain professional. It’s easy to get lost behind your computer screen, but you’re dealing with real people and real potential employers and co-workers. Act that way.
- Secondly, take it seriously. The competition out there is stronger than you might realize.
- When corresponding with a potential client, less is more. Give them a little bit of your work history and experience, but don’t tell them about how you got an award for perfect attendance in sixth grade. In conjunction with that, give them a few work samples, but don’t overload them. That could lead them to not knowing where to begin and just moving on to the next person.
- Last, but most certainly not least, CHECK YOUR WORK! Grammar, spelling, and wording must make sense in whatever you are sending. It is how you are going to complete your job, so if it’s full of errors, you might as well just shut down your computer and go back to your other career because nobody is going to want to hire someone that doesn’t take the time to proofread their work.
Now that we got that down pat, let’s get to the exciting stuff… how to make money online!
Starting up and writing your own blog is perhaps the best way to make a second income online. A word of caution though; it’s going to take some time and hard work before you will start to see any sort of returns. In a lot of instances, experienced and successful bloggers say that they had to work for a year or longer before any money started coming their way.
In the event you need to make a second income right now, this isn’t going to be the best way to earn fast money online option for you. However, if you want to start it up on the side while you are getting paid for other gigs, there’s a good chance that it’s going to work out in your favor in the end. You just have to stay dedicated to it, no matter how discouraging it gets when you’re not turning a profit yet.
You might be asking yourself, “How does writing a blog make money online anyways?” Well, there are a few different ways that it happens. The essential thing to remember is that you need people to be coming to view your site.
The more traffic you have, the more potential there is to earn money online. Once you get people interested in what you have to say, these are your options for raking in the dough. You can do one, two, or all of them:
- Advertising is one of the oldest ways to make money on your blog. You have to sell advertising spots that you can sign up for through sites like Google AdSense or Media.net. Your blog has to be getting thousands of visitors each week before any advertiser is going to be interested in paying you for that though.
- Affiliate is the term used when you promote other people’s products and services on your blog. FlexOffers and CJ Affiliate are networks to check out if you’re interested in that. When someone clicks on the banner that you put on your page for that person’s business, and the customer buys something, you get a percentage. When choosing affiliates, make sure that you pick those that are directly related to your blog to make the most revenue.
- Services are anything that you could sell to visitors checking out your site. It may be a 15-minute Skype call about how to blog effectively for instance. People will pay for that when they want to find out how to earn extra income online and you’re already doing it.
- Products are anything that you can sell and give to your visitors. Maybe it’s an eBook or something that you can send to them in the mail. As long as you’re making more than you’re spending sending it out, you’re earning money.
- Paid Memberships are a great way to earn money online when you have something valuable to offer your customers. It could be unique content that you can’t find anywhere else on the internet. If they are genuinely interested in you and what you have to offer, they’re going to be willing to pay for it.
- Videos are becoming an increasingly popular way to make money online. YouTubers are stacking cash after going viral and getting millions of viewers and fans. Now, that’s not always the best way to earn fast money online, but there is a possibility.
- Subscriptions are profitable if you’re going to be doing something monthly or quarterly that you can offer to your interested viewers. It may be a product that gets sent out or a newsletter that you write up with new information they’re going to want. You have to set it up so that the only way they can have access to it is if they pay to subscribe to your website.
- Sponsored or paid posts are for a specific brand, product, or service that you get paid to talk about. You have to have a decent amount of traffic to your site before anyone is going to pay you to try and sell their stuff.
You have to be passionate about writing, what your blog category is, and you must be willing to put in the work if you want to earn a second income online through blogging. Just remember that it’s going to take some time to get rolling, but when things take off, it really is one of the top ways to make money online.
2. Freelance Writing
Much like blogging, freelance writing is one of the ways to make money online that involve a passion for writing. Those that have become successful with freelance writing over their time in the industry have made up to six figures a year, and in some cases, even more!
You have to be patient with freelance writing as well. Much like a job inside any corporation, you have to gain experience and work your way towards the top. Chances are you are going to start out working for peanuts. Making $5 to write a 500-word article is pretty standard for beginners, but it’s how you start to gain knowledge in what you’re doing, and you can build a reputation that way.
By creating flawless, engaging, quality content, you will build up your resume and portfolio. That way, when a better opportunity presents itself, you have the qualifications to nail down the position. You have to remember that you first need a presence on the web before you can start reaching out to some of the leaders in the industry.
All of this ties back into your blog writing. It might not be that profitable for you to have the blog, but you are trying to find other ways to make money online, and by having one, potential clients can be directed to your existing work.
As a beginner, you should start on a platform like UpWork to find quick and easy projects. They offer a ton of jobs, and you are guaranteed to be paid for what you submit, as long as you follow their guidelines.
Be careful submitting content outside of a trusted platform, because crooks out there have no problem grabbing what you worked on and running with it. There’s no way to track them down out there in the virtual world either, so you can end up wasting a lot of time and energy if you’re not careful.
You will start by building a profile and displaying all of your existing credentials and qualifications. Then, you have to explore the job feeds and see what is out there that is fitting for where you are. It can be a little intimidating at first, but once you get the hang of it, you can start submitting proposals.
There are a variety of other platforms where you can submit your freelance writing content and earn money online as well. Keep in mind that a many of these will only pay out if they publish your work though.
Also, it can take some of them quite some time deciding on whether or not they are going to use your submission, meaning payment can take even longer. When it does get published though, you have the opportunity of making $60 to $250 per article or even more in some cases.
Some sites to check out include:
- International Living
- A List Apart
When you want to know how to make money online in a legitimate way, freelance writing is one of them. After you get the ball rolling in the right direction, there really are no limits to what you can do.
3. Other Second Income Work from Home Jobs
There are other jobs that you can do online from your home computer without having to write. The best way to make money online without having to sit for hours typing away your thoughts is customer service. There are a bunch of companies out there that are looking for individuals that can answer customer’s questions and concerns either through chat or over the phone.
They generally don’t pay an astronomical amount, but when you don’t have to commute, pay for daycare, and buy your lunch every day, it kind of evens itself out.
Medical transcriptionists also can earn money online from home. There are some qualifications necessary for that kind of a position, but the best thing you can do is go and check out what they are. If it’s something that you’re interested in, it may just be worth getting them.
If you want to find out how to earn extra income online while also having some fun, check out search engine ranking jobs like Leap Force. Google pays you to check out all kinds of websites and rank them. It’s pretty much effortless, and you can see all sorts of exciting things while browsing the web.
4. Take Surveys as a Second Income Stream
There are a plethora of websites out there that allow you to jump on and take a survey, or a 100 surveys if that’s what you want to do. They don’t pay you a lot, but there is hardly ever any effort required other than a few clicks of your mouse after going over the questions. It could be considered the best way to earn fast money online, but you aren’t going to get rich from it.
When you’re sitting around with nothing else to do, you can pop on one of these websites and see what they have:
- E-Poll Surveys
- Survey Club
The beauty of a lot of these survey websites, in this day of mobile, is that many of them you can do from your phone. So, say you are sitting in the dreaded pick up like waiting for little Johnny to get out of school. You can pop on one of the sites and spend five or ten minutes of that otherwise wasted time and make a few bucks. It’s better than doing nothing!
5. Selling Your Stuff
Craigslist, eBay, and Amazon have been visited by everyone online at least once at some point in their lives. The primary purpose of navigating to them is to find a product that you want to buy. Did you ever think about who is selling the stuff you are buying though? There’s a good chance that it’s someone just like you!
Before you sell your stuff as one of the ways to pull in a second income, set up a PayPal account if you don’t already have one. It is the primary way that people buy and sell things in the virtual world. Everyone is protected from wrongdoings by using this method.
Now that you have the money figured out, make sure that you follow these rules whether you are selling one item or if you’re setting up an entirely new online store:
- Don’t hide anything! If you’re selling something that is used, scratched, dented, bent, or broken in any way, say it. Disclose all of that information right up front. You are going to be reviewed by the customers that you serve, and one bad review can ruin it for you for a long time.
- Be professional. It is a business. Imagine how you would act if someone came into your local boutique to check out your products. You would be polite, answer their questions, and be a proper business person. That’s the same way that you should interact with people over your computer as well.
- Get a good camera. When you plan to use selling your stuff as a way to make money online, you’re going to want to invest in a good camera so that you have quality images to display. Set up a place in your house or home office that provides you with an excellent backdrop to get perfect pictures. The clearer your images are, the more likely someone is going to want to scoop up what you’re selling.
Now, unless you plan on selling brand new merchandise that you’re making yourself or if for some reason you have a lot of high-end stuff to get rid of, this isn’t the best way to make money online, but you can certainly put some extra cash in your pocket.
There you have it; those are the top five ways to make money online. All the stories you have heard about earning an income from home are real. It just depends on how much work you are willing to put into the endeavor when deciding if it’s the right career path for you and the right choice for your family.
If you’re still looking for the best way to earn a second income online, make sure that you check out our Facebook group. We offer all kinds of tips and tricks for the newbies that are just starting out in their exciting work from home journeys. It’s an excellent way to interact with other people that are on the same page. Good luck!